Transportation Research Board (TRB) National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) 08-122: Metropolitan Planning Organizations –Strategies for Future Success, June 2019 – March 2021.
The objective of this research is to develop a comprehensive resource to inform and guide the evolving roles and functions of Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) in partnership with their key stakeholders for the 21st century. The resource will take into account the diversity among MPOs, such as population served, the complexity of the region (e.g., number of jurisdictions), the scope of responsibilities, governance structures, staff and financial resources, technical capacity, and level of interaction with stakeholders. Further, it will consider the near-, medium-, and long-term applications and address:
- The current and evolving vision for effective MPOs;
- How MPOs can be poised and equipped to address current and future opportunities and challenges that may impact regional transportation decision-making such as transformational technologies, climate change, big data, macroeconomic drivers, and private sector involvement;
- Strategies for improving the efficacy of MPOs pertaining to their responsibilities, products and services, governance, member agencies, stakeholders, organizational structure, and staff capabilities;
- How the roles, responsibilities, and resources of MPOs may change or expand in future in relation to their state, regional and local transportation agencies;
- How partner agencies, in particular, state DOTs, could evolve in tandem with MPOs to address 21st-century transportation trends;
- What support and partnerships may be most beneficial to MPOs to achieve transformative results; and
- What conventional and nonconventional funding and financing options may be available to address future transportation needs and how MPOs and their partners can leverage these options.
As part of a team, Modern Mobility Partners will be leading case study research on best practices by MPOs across the country as it relates specifically to innovative mobility and emerging technologies. Modern Mobility Partners will also be participating in national roundtable discussions, as well as supporting the development of the guidance document.